Ironbull's blog

A year on

It's quite disturbing to realise that I have not been in human company outside my home since March 2020. There have been just two exceptions; lunch with a friend and a wrestle last summer. Aside from that, it's been a dream-like experience in which waiting is the only reality.

I notice how tired, lonely, bored, worried and exhausted so many people are. Our social skills are becoming atrophied, and conversation is an empty bubble above our heads, waiting for a punchline. Our personal problems seem larger and without end in the absence of our usual social context. Our pastimes lie rotting in the dark. We are surely now well practiced in patience and acceptance, but this is a limited skill set and, after a while, we sit in constant discomfort.

I have thought a lot about men in prison and how they cope. Even those men serving long sentences must surely be kept alive by the knowledge that one glorious day they will be able to live fully once more. I have considered people in long term economic or political confinement and people whose health and disability places them in a lonely corner of society. There is surely much we can learn from these people. I have read their writings and pondered their observations. If I ever join their ranks I will be better prepared by all this. More empathetic too, I hope.

I have gone looking for good news stories in which progress has been made in relation to the environment, human rights, poverty and cooperation. It is there. Lots of it. It helps to know that humanity is still good.

I have read stoic philosophy and the art of response to an external reality that we cannot control. This helps too.

Our community on Meetfighters is a good thing. I see people opening up and being treated with the greatest respect. It's valuable and rare among men.

I have a hope that English society will open up over the next 3 months. I hope that the same is true in other countries. I have a very long to-do list, and many of you here are on it ;)... you know who you are.

Last edited on 3/26/2021 1:19 PM by Ironbull
Votes disabled.

Barraboy (14) 16 days ago

I had to look up the meaning of the word "atrophied"....
Another well observed piece of writing, Ed

BellytoBelly (6) 16 days ago

Great piece of writing, sir, which sums up the feeling of incarceration I, for one, have felt for the last twelve months. Looking forward to breaking free of this prison in the near future, when it’s safe and advisable to do so, to find out if I’m on that list of yours.

surrey71 (23 ) 16 days ago

The past year has bought out the best & worst in people.
You find out who your friends really are, those that will chat about anything other than lockdown.
It’s a “pipe dream” but I would like to think that we all appreciate things that we have taken for granted a little more. Our freedoms, our NHS, our surroundings and how we might try to be better people and kinder to each other.
We are so lucky in this country to have the freedoms we have - so many other people do not have the liberties we have taken for granted.
Your piece is very thoughtful and thought provoking!
Excellent writing, as always!

chicagowrestbox (21) 16 days ago

Having had my second dose yesterday, I have to say it’s a game changer psychologically. Hang in there men, there’s much more of this behind us than in front of us, and this website is going to be exploding with activity in the very near future.

ukman65 (7) 15 days ago

I always enjoy your lucid writing Ironbull. Having been lucky enough to wrestle you a while back I knew your limbs were very effective but so is your pen.

I have struggled massively in lockdown. Fortunately I am not alone but I do have family abroad whom I cannot see even if they fall badly ill. The stress of that is tough .

Hopefully relatively normal life is getting closer especially for us older guys (and I guess gals) who will be fully vaccinated soon all being well.

It's kind of odd that being older is big hindrance in wrestling but we may be the first back on the mats.

Ironbull (101) 15 days ago

Thank you for sharing that. Just saying "I am struggling" makes it less of a struggle.

ruck95 (22 ) 15 days ago

Great writing. Thanks for sharing and putting to paper what so many are feeling. I hope to make your "to do" list. Stay healthy!

PowerHolds (2) 15 days ago

That is a superb piece of writing. Eloquent and yet direct. I think when we do get to wrestle it will make the contact all the more special after lockdown. I have had my first jab and the second is in May. I will feel a lot safer and psychologically at the point of needing the contact we so enjoy.
Stick in there. We will get through it. Let's just make sure we do that safely.

Alecmusc (30) 15 days ago

Another wonderful text. You have a very special and effectiveness of expressing what we fell. Thank you for the posting. It does help to cope with it. There must be always hope.

Seniorboxer (34 ) 15 days ago

It is now a question of months till we will go back to nearly normal. That is what we hope, Israel seems to have reached this point. Britain might get it before the EU, but that will not make a big difference in the end.

The real question is, will we go back to the life we had before COVID-19 or will it be different. More people got used to shop online, do not pay with banknotes, do not use a bus or train, avoid crowds of people, are not willing to pay for a flight ticket in advance and so on.

After five months without my boxing class I start not to miss them. This is not a good sign, the frustration is deep in me. It will not disappear by a shot in the arm in July or August.

Did a cycling tour yesterday and - no wonder - my legs hurt. Will I ever reach the fitness I had before? Turning 60 this year does not help. At least I save the money for the party.

Ironbull (101) 15 days ago

I think that, like every trauma, it will take time to recover emotionally

pinningmuscle (0) 15 days ago

Great work.
It sums up what most of us feel. We felt our world was beyond pandemics and isolation.

But here we are. But hopefully we have learned a value lesson to respect what we have.

phonso (0) 15 days ago

Great text.
I think that the best is to have the possibility to speak with frends. see different ideas, ... etc
And be sure, we will go back to the normal life

sorry if you see a mistake but a don´t speak english as well as the spanish

Ironbull (101) 15 days ago

Gracias amigo.

keith230665 (3) 15 days ago

Another uplifting blog Ed...well put!..hopefully things will begin to improve soon and we can all get back to the things we love...🤞

icejohn2 (34 ) 15 days ago

Thank you for sharing your wonderful thoughts!

GrappleFun (36) 13 days ago

What interesting and thought provoking observations, and so eloquently and honestly expressed, Ed, thank you. Always a joy to engage with your writing.

Mainewrsl (32) 11 hours ago

Not a lot about lockdown has been positive, but I do think that the introspection that it has made many of us go through IS a good thing. I am betting that many of us value this community (and our other communities) more than we did a year ago. You all here have been a huge source of inspiration, workout tips, and friendship across miles and time zones.