Tracker

Privacy Settings for Favourites Feature

As per the discussions had in the original thread on changing the names of the feature (https://www.meetfighters.com/Tracker/2008-12-21), friends was renamed to fans to establish that there is interest in one member from another without implying any formal affiliation. However, this does not fix an issue of privacy with what 'fans' are able to track. At present, if someone adds a member to their favourites, they are able to track logins, profile changes, as well as being notified of birthdays.

I personally cannot think of another social network that immediately notifies people of my login activity as a notification. As for profile changes, LinkedIn at minimum allows me to toggle whether the network is alerted to profile changes.

Would it be possible for members to disable notifying 'fans' of these three streams of information (login, update, birthday)?

Last edited on 5/16/2018 11:16 AM by Admin

hashbock (152) 6/05/2018 1:10 PM

I also think this would be a great improvement, especially if it could be done on an individual basis. There are certain individuals who message every time I log in which is annoying. While I could theoretically block them, I don't really want to be that extreme; I don't mind, and in fact, enjoy a meaningful message from them occasionally, so blocking isn't really a viable option for the situation.

hugefan (105) 12/01/2018 12:40 AM

It's probably not necessary to know if a favourite logs on but you can always look to see your favourites online so unless you remove that feature it wouldn't deter a professional stalker. Not that I know anything about stalking obviously.

musclechris80 (152) 12/27/2018 11:10 AM

I agree with Hugefan. I mostly deactivate the log in and birthday button at my favorites profiles. And some times I need to log in without my fans knows about it. I guess if we had the option to choose our status (online, offline, busy etc) would be a helpful improvement.
Thanks anyway!

BC Box (0) 1/12/2019 8:45 PM

I support this. It's ridiculous that somebody I have no relationship with on the other side of the continent can watch me log in, etc. If someone adds you as a favourite, you should be able to approve/deny that request since it means I am sending them personal information about me (when I log in, etc.) which should be my choice, not theirs.

ScottsdaleAZ (31) 2/13/2019 4:56 AM

I wholeheartedly support this recommendation, and know many others who would as well, but who would not go to the trouble of commenting.

At a minimum, allow the suggested notification restrictions to be an option, sort of like disabling challenges. If someone still wants to share everything all the time, they still can.

Wrestleme (15) 3/23/2019 11:49 PM

I don’t think “favourites” should be able to see logins etc. No reason why they need to.

hugefan (105) 3/24/2019 12:13 AM

Spoil sport

Wrestleme (15) 3/24/2019 9:33 AM

Well having had a stalker on here (surprisingly not you), I prefer them not to be able watch my every log in.

littleforbigg (4) 7/08/2019 8:21 PM

True, but if a member really wants to “stalk” u (unless ur one of many whom they stalk) they can always simply type ur name in or search for their favourites currently online.

Wrestleme (15) 7/08/2019 9:18 PM

Which is why if you block someone you should disappear from their view. Which currently doesn’t happen

littleforbigg (4) 7/08/2019 10:24 PM

Exactly, but they can still see if their fave is on line—they just can’t contact them.
And, unless a stalker is being abusive etc. maybe some guys don’t like blocking someone coz it’s more frustrating to them when the stalkee never responds.

Wrestleme (15) 7/08/2019 10:58 PM

But most websites where you block someone it means they cannot even see if you are online. In fact this is one of the exceptions as it allows you to.

littleforbigg (4) 7/09/2019 6:40 AM

Correct again but assume admin. hasn’t had enuf complaints to change their policy.
Worse things on site....like messages being very arbitrarily deleted well before they should be, espec. for a donor. Just venting on this.

Admin 7/12/2019 10:03 AM

Thanks for all your feedback I agree with you. And even add more options. I hope you are pleased :)

To give you more control over your profile and fight online stalking following features will be implemented:

• Ability to suppress certain or all updates to your fans (on global level, not for each fan individually):
    • Birthday notifications (these were always randomized a few days anyway)
    • Profile change notification
    • All this was already disabled for blocked members, but now it can be turned off in general.
  • Improved blocking. For members you blocked:
    • You always appear offline
      • Your profile was already locked for blocked members, but now in all ‚hover over‘ elements and other parts of lists, your name appears offline. (i.e. when you post in a public forum or a blog) The hover over element will only show your name, no additional information.
    • You are removed from search results for blocked members
    • blocked members can’t find you on other profiles like: past opponents list, recommendations, fans, favorite. You are hidden from his point of view.
  • Restricted profile improvement:
    • You always appear offline for site visitors if you set your profile to restricted.

These features will come online in the next weeks.
Keep an eye on our news.

Best Regards,
Admin

Wrestleme (15) 7/12/2019 10:13 AM

I think this is excellent news. Thanks Admin

kicksands (23 ) 7/12/2019 5:18 PM

This is even better than I had hoped for. Thanks for all of your hard work!