The votes are in for our poll on commercial activity on MeetFighters.
| || Votes || % of votes || Weighted % |
| Disallow all commercial activity, including profile text, private messages, forums, blogs, etc. || 487 || 29% || 27% |
| Keep the "Classifieds" forum for the trade of small personal items. || 328 || 19% || 21% |
| Allow offers of commercial activity in private messages. || 225 || 13% || 15% |
| Allow offers of commercial activity in profile text. || 200 || 12% || 12% |
| Allow offers of commercial activity in blogs and forums. || 196 || 11% || 12% |
| Allow companies to register and promote their products on the site. || 157 || 9% || 8% |
| Allow everything. Capitalism ahoy! || 63 || 3% || 3% |
It is a somewhat mixed bag. The highest score goes to disallowing all commercial activity, with keeping the "Classifieds" forum in second place. Third place goes to allowing commercial activity in private messages. The first three places combined yield 63% of the weighted votes.
I am drawing the following conclusion: Commercial activity on MeetFighters shall be limited to the "Classifieds" forum and private messages. This means that no commercial activity will be allowed in other public areas of the site, including profile text, blog posts, forums, groups, etc. This policy is not, in fact, far from what is already in the site's Terms of Service. I have updated the Terms to make the limits more explicit:
Previous text of Terms of Service:
§4 Advertising on our pages is forbidden without the express permission of the site administrators.
Updated Terms of Service:
- §4 Advertising on our pages is forbidden without the express permission of the site administrators.
- §4.1 It is forbidden to place advertisement for goods or services in any of the public areas of the site, including but not limited to:Your blog, your profile text, recommendations, forums, match requests and the public chat area.
- §4.2 Bulk unsolicited offers of goods and services by private messages is forbidden.
- §4.3 Members are permitted to post offers to buy or sell small personal items on the "Classifieds" forum.
While on the topic of changing the Terms of Service, I have added the following verbiage:
- DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY: TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, MEETFIGHTERS IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTIES, CONDITIONS, REPRESENTATIONS OR GUARANTIES OF ANY KIND. MeetFighters.com is not a public utility and we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone for any or no reason.
- LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, IN NO EVENT AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY SHALL MEETFIGHTERS OR ANY OTHER PERSON WHO HAS BEEN INVOLVED IN THE CREATION, PRODUCTION, OR DELIVERY OF MEETFIGHTERS.COM BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON FOR ANY DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE SERVICE.
I hate this sort of text. I really do. It's ugly, unfriendly, unseemly and on some level against the spirit of the world wide web. Unfortunately recent events have proven that it is indeed necessary. I hate the person who has forced me to do this.
As always, the changes of the Terms of Service are now in effect. Your continued use of the site serves as an implicit acceptance of the new terms. Blah-blah-blah. Members who now have commercial stuff on their profiles or blogs get a 1-month grace period to clean up.
On a brighter note, I am working on a new feature called Fightopedia, which is designed to be a wiki for MeetFighters members. As always, your ideas are welcome.
Also, the first Monthly Surgery with Admin is this Sunday (31st of August) at 21:00 UTC. Go to the Chat page, it will show you the time according to your local time zone.